Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Day 32 Home 22 - She's alert

It's been slightly over a month since she was diagnosed with acute renal failure, then chronic renal failure and finally hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

For the last 4 weeks, it has been a big roller coaster ride with bad days, especially in the first week or so and better days, like now.

We have finally gotten down to a routine after 4 weeks.

The Wife will do the early morning feed while I will do the lunch feed since I can reach home easier. Evening feed is dependent on who gets home early enough from work. We will then share the night feed depending on who is not as tired. Feeding her each time is a half hour job as she refuses to eat her wet k/d food and has to be syring fed. She will only eat her Fancy Feast Ocean Feast formula willingly but we know that is not the food she should be taking. We are currently trying to get her to eat the Waltham Renal rf 23 dry food (thank you San). She took to it enthusiastically last Sat but has since lost interest in it. We will need to try harder.

Feeding medication 3 times a day is getting easier now as we become more adept at pilling her. But then she shows that she has a trick or two up her sleeve too. She can actually spit out the pill after 5 minutes so we have to closely monitor her after pilling.

The worst routine of the day must be the daily sub-cut injection, especially if one of us is traveling. It is probably the only thing we do not want to do but know that it is a life saver and has to be done. It is a very emotionally draining affair and I always heave a big sigh of relief whenever I can finally pull out the needle.

Alert but not as energetic as 2 months ago, she is now weighing in at around 3.6kg. We are still hoping that she will gain weight since she is eating the recommended amount of food but it has been an uphill affair. The only good thing is that she is not losing any weight. Wet food does not seem to have the weight gain impact like dry food. We have also seen that in Chang Chang when he was solely on wet food during his medication period.

The gang has slowly got used to the idea that she is Xin Xin, once part of the gang. There are less hisses now though Yuan Yuan is still not acknowledging her adopted Mummy. I think Xin Xin feels it and is a little sad about it.

Her meows are sounding stronger every day and she can now jump up the bed without the need of the stool. Her heart is pumping fast and we can see visually that it has expanded as her chest bulges out a little.

I know she is resting now on the bed and waiting to see me return home in an hour's time.

Labels: ,


Anonymous Whicky Wuudler said...

Well done for getting to grips with what sounds like a very difficult regime. You are doing so well. I hope Xin Xin continues to gain strength and enjoy her days as well as she can. Sending love and purrs.

3:04 PM, July 15, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home