Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Day 33 Home 23 - She can jump much higher now

I got home at 8+pm tonight as there was a company event that I needed to attend.

I opened the bedroom door expecting her to be meowing incessantly for food and a few pats on her head. There was none. I searched the whole bedroom but could not find her until I heard her meows - from outside the window.

A couple of years ago when we had just moved back home after a major renovation, we had not meshed up our bedroom window as they were never allowed in there unless we were home. And when we were home, we would always close that window to prevent them from jumping. However there was one time we forgot and Xin Xin jumped through. Luckily, there was a wide ledge around 1.5m whereby she could land and move about safely. If not for the ledge, she would have fallen 10 floors. She was stuck there for an hour or so before we noticed her missing. To cut a story short, I had to jump out onto the ledge as well and scoop her back to safety.

From then on, that window was meshed up with my specially designed acrylic panel. These same panels are used in their room and the living room where they are allowed full access 24 hours a day. It allows for maximum light into the house while still allowing the breeze to blow through. For over 3 years, these panels had functioned as planned beautifully. None of them even ever attempted to squeeze through the holes even though they were within easy reach. The holes were just too narrow to slip through. Perhaps only a 6 month old kitten could do it and the gang was generally much bigger in size than a kitten.

She was out on the ledge again. And she was panicky. I had to jump out onto the ledge and scooped her back to safety, moving more than 20m without any safety equipment, just hanging on to the gently sloped ledge with my bare feet. The image of her losing her footing and falling 10 floors kept flashing in my mind as I climb the window and stepped onto the ledge.

I inspected the window and panel mesh again after that. The panel was still in place. The glass window was in the same position as it was for many many weeks, sealing off any other holes. The window sill was 1.1m above the ground. And there was no intermediary object she could use to propel herself forward except for a wobbly clothes hanging apparatus, which had remained intact and in the same position ever since we moved back home.

I still cannot fathom how she could jump 1.1m (she could easily do that before she was ill but not anymore now) and actually squeeze through a hole less than 6cm wide. Her bone structure is definitely bigger than the size of the hole. Has she become that much stronger than she can jump 1.1m effortlessly?

Until I can seal up the loophole this weekend, that window will be shut. The room will be a little stuffy especially during the day but she will have to bear with it for a few more days.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We work on the rule that if the head (not side to side but top to chin) could go thru - the rest of the body (esp slim cats) could. Cats are great contortionists.

Besides a sick pet may have their own reasons (which we cannot fathom) for going out.

Take care. Do not get on the ledge for yr own safety & you could also appear on STOMP!

10:23 AM, July 17, 2008  
Blogger KXBC said...

Her head can pass through but definitely not her rib cage. The hole is just too small.

I think I know what's her reason for going out. She was not let out into the living room during lunch as I was rushing for time to just feed her. And because I came back later than usual, she was up to her bag of tricks again to try to a bigger area to stretch.

She kept me up from 3am to 5am howling at the bedroom door, demanding to be let out and when let out, she started jumping around and yowling again in the living room. I think she is releasing excess energy from sleeping too much during the day.

1:32 PM, July 17, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah....stressful for busy working people. However, look on the bright side, XinXin is still up and about ; )

4:28 PM, July 17, 2008  
Blogger san said...

Wah xinxin- not bad. Its good to see you asking to be let out. You had quite an adventure and a dangerous one at that :)Take care xinxin. cats may land on their feet but its still a dangerous thing to be out on ledges.

6:46 PM, July 17, 2008  
Blogger cat_aunty said...

Good to know that XinXin is gradually recovering....

2:09 PM, July 19, 2008  
Blogger My furry friends said...

my heart almost pop out when I read what happened to xinxin.. sure glad she's alright... Just remind me of my Orange...

8:09 PM, July 20, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home